When a storm damages your roof, what should you do? The initial response may be to schedule your roof repair in San Antonio, TX, area as soon as humanly possible. While this is okay if you already have a trusted roofing company, it can be a bad idea for those homeowners who have to seek out a contractor. Keep these tips in mind as you try to deal with storm damage:
- Get recommendations. Even though your head may be reeling after the storm, you should take the time to talk with friends and family members about companies they may have used in the past.
- Review the roofers. Before you sign any contracts, make sure the company is properly licensed and insured.
- Get estimates. Rather than signing with the first contractor you talk with, get estimates from three or more different contractors.
- Consider the local history of the business. When you hire a roofing contractor, you should look for someone who has been around in the community for a while rather than someone who showed up after the storm.
- Don’t pay upfront. You shouldn’t have to pay for the entire project upfront. It is more common for contractors to want a third of the estimated total right away and the rest after the job has been completed.
- Seek out companies. After a storm, some roofing companies may start going door-to-door. While some reputable contractors may employee these methods, it is often a good idea to seek out a company rather than using a company who sought you out.
- Talk with an insurance representative. Are you planning on paying for the repairs through your insurance company? Talk with a representative to learn about the process your repairs should follow.
Storm damage can add a lot of stress to your life. Rather than amplifying the stress by hiring an incompetent contractor, take your time to find a reputable company.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.